HISTORY OF LAKE VIEW, NY
covering the years 1804 to 1924
Written in 1965 by Raymond V. Healy, BS, MS Ed
(provided by William Smith, former resident of Lake View)
based in part on interviews with:
Allen Ames, Richard Fierle, Leland Hazard, Shirley Hansen, William Heil and Donald Spittler
Map of Lake View, NY in 1907 (view more maps)
(provided by Stephen Greene)
Table of Contents & Formative Years up until 1892
1. View info on Jacob
2. Read about Elliott Stewart's round barn in Round Barns of New York; Elliott Stewart is also listed as a 1835 graduate of Cazenovia Seminary and his book "Feeding Animals" published in 1883 can still be purchased;
3. View 1880 Census Record for Austin Ames, Elliott Stewart
4. View old maps of Lake View area with various locations marked.
5. Read how Lake View got its name.
The Bubble That Burst 1892-93 -
View more info on the Gatling Land Boom
Lake View on Wheels
1. Bicycles manufactured in Lake View listed here and here;
2. View photo inside bicycle factory.
The Ties That Bind 1889-1924
View more info on the Lake View Fire Association
W. S. Sikes Store in North Evans,
NY - 1860
As noted by Ray Healy in his "History of Lake View" (above) Lake View was an outgrowth of North Evans, NY on the south side of 18-Mile Creek, which originally grew up around a tannery built by Hiram Jones in 1840 and later enlarged by Jacob Schoellkopf.
To the left is an old photo of some men in front of the W. S. Sikes Store in North Evans taken around 1860. This store is noted on a 1880 map of North Evans, on the corner in the center of town.
According to the History of the City of Buffalo and Erie County, W. S. Sikes was also the clerk of the 2nd Congregational Church in North Evans from 1862 to 1884.
This photo sold for $2,425 on eBay on 12/30/08.
View list of people buried in North Evans Cemetery.
VIEW COOKBOOK FROM 1950's RETURN
TO LAKE VIEW TIMES
PHOTOS OF LAKE VIEW