LAKE VIEW HOTEL (circa
provided by Donald Spittler, unofficial Lake View historian;
photo provided by Gary Pericak)
One of the best-known
landmarks in Lake View, NY is certainly the LAKE VIEW HOTEL. Catherine
Walden Myer daughter of Ebenezer Walden
(1777-1857), a mayor of Buffalo from 1838-39 and a member of
the Electoral College (who had an estate nearby and
gave the hamlet of Lake View its name) built the hotel in 1880 to serve the many traveling
salesmen who arrived on the seven daily trains on the NY Central Railroad (the station was
across the street) to sell their wares in the surrounding countryside.
The salesmen (called "drummers") would rent a horse and buggy from the livery stable behind the six-room hotel to make
their rounds. NOTE: Catherine
was the wife of Albert
James Myer, a famous Civil War physician and founder of the Signal
Corps and the US Weather Service and after whom Ft. Meyer near Washington,
DC is named. (Source
of portrait for Catherine Walden Myer is http://americanart.si.edu/collections/search/artwork/?id=10165)
|Catherine sold the building to the Hanley
family (William Hanley had worked for the Myers) and the homestead of Daniel Hanley was located several hundred feet
behind the premises. The Hanley family leased the Hotel to several
individuals, including John Murjahn Sr., Maria Fritschie, Art Thompson and
John Bentley, the latter of whom hung himself in the rear livery
barn. Art Thompson finally took title to the property and passed it
on to his daughter Olive, wife of Charles Stadler.
The Stadlers operated the Hotel as an ice cream parlor during Prohibition
then subsequently obtained a liquor license and maintained ownership of
the establishment until after World War II. It was eventually
purchased by Reginald Lombard in 1948 who transformed it into the popular smorgasbord
restaurant it was for several years. The original structure - pictured above - has
gone through fire, renovation, sale and resale and still stands at 1957 Lake View
of Lake View (with various locations
Read how Lake View got its name.
photo of Lake View in 1905 with historical notes
Read more about the Lake View Hotel
Excerpt from the "History
of Hamburg" published in 1898: "Lake
a railroad station in the southwest part of the town, and contains one hotel, the store of F. W. Cook, the factory of the Erie
Cycle Company (built in 1895) and a union church (erected in 1892,
later named Lake View Congregational).
See 1908 map of North
Evans showing location of tannery in photo
View Photo of WS Sikes Store in 1860 in North Evans, also on map.
See how bridge looks now as NYS fishing site called Hobuck
Bridge over 18-Mile
looking SW from
Versailles and North Creek Rds. in Lake View towards North Evans
showing tannery once operated by Jacob Schoellfopf
- 1906 (photo contributed by
Fisher Estate - Lake View, NY
(photo contributed by David
Estate is located on the south side of North Creek Rd. at Rt. 20 along the creek bank. It was built
by the Shepherd family of Buffalo as a summer
retreat. Joseph Fisher, a vice-president of M&T Bank,
bought the house in the 1930's and lived in there until the early 60s when he passed away. The house was purchased and converted into a restaurant called
"The Cliffside" which had some success but
eventually closed. The structure sat vacant until a Buffalo real estate developer Frank Parlato purchased
it and leased it to a religious commune. (Parlato's
plans to develop the Fisher property and land he owned across the street (North Creek) into a housing
development fell through, largely due to local
opposition.) Eventually, the commune purchased the
Fisher property with proceeds from their bakery, and other income.
provided by Ed Patton, current resident of Lake View) View photo
W. Spittler on the corner of Lake View and Burke Rds. in
1931 was occupied by the Spittler family until 1966, when
Edith Metz Spittler passed away.
by Susan Ward Merk, granddaughter of George & Edith
Grocery c. 1931
Kalterhouse Tavern c. 1915
Kalterhouse Tavern stood at the corner of Pleasant Ave. and Versailles Rd.
(on the southeast corner of the latter, where the former office of
Acme Shale & Brick
was located) in the area originally called Weyer's Crossing (see Map
of Lake View in 1907) and later,
Shaleton. Jack Schiedel ran the tavern for George
In the 1920s the tavern burned to the ground and Kalterhouse moved across the tracks and built another
tavern which later came to be known as the Wanakah
Grill. During Prohibition Kalterhouse ran it as a speakeasy, supposedly hiding the booze behind the cereal boxes on the shelf. The Wanakah Grill later was owned by Stan Kocic for many years. After his passing
Nichole and Mike Trzepacz bought it.
In the photo above Mrs. George Glass is sitting in the Model T Ford. On the porch of the old tavern,
Jack Schiedel is on the left and George Kalterhouse on the right. (Photo submitted by Ed Patton; Original owned by Donald Spittler.)
& White Store c. 1930
This store began
as Koch's General Store around 1880 and was acquired by W.
C. Meyn (standing in the photo with his wife) around 1890.
Mr. Meyn operated it until the mid-30s when Ralph Fierle bought it.
It also housed the US Post Office for Lake View and had an apartment
upstairs. Get more info here.
(Photo contributed by
Amy Fierle Preston)
Train Derailment near Acme Shale & Brick plant c. 1954
Read more about the Acme Shale & Brick here.
(Photo provided by
on Rt. 20 Across 18 Mile Creek in 1929 - read narrative from Hamburg
provided by Duke Spittler, who eyewitnessed construction;
shows bridge in 2000)
East on N.Creek Rd.
(when it was still obviously a dirt road)
(photo contributed by David
Trolley at Idlewood
(undated-probably mid 1930's)
by Gary Pericak)
Read more about trolley here
See photo inside Queen City Cycle Co.
and baseball team (the "Prospects")
formed in Idlewood area around Bicycle Factory
Building of Railroad Trestle Over 18 Mile Creek - 1942-43
(scene of collapse which killed several people)
by Gary Pericak; See what bridge looks like now
Read about the Great
Gatling Land Boom of 1892-93
View info/photos on 18-Mile
Lake View Railroad Stations
Shore & Michigan Southern (later New York Central) RR
which dates back to the Buffalo and State Line Railroad built in 1852
This station can be seen on the Map of Lake
View in 1908 between the two sets of tracks, at the point where
Lake View Rd. turns north in front of the Lake View Hotel. It
was built in 1868 pursuant to a conveyance of the land from Albert
J. & Catherine Walden Myer.
Chicago & St. Louis (Nickleplate)/PA
RR Station- 1964
(RR line dates back to 1890)
Mr. Frank Lum, the station master, is holding a Y shaped stick in this photo
which was used to catch or "serve" the mail to the trainmen.
The Lake View Station was dismantled shortly after this photo was taken by
This station can been seen on the
Map of Lake
View in 1908 on the east side of the 2nd set of tracks (from
the top) next to the property of J. Christian.
Also see article showing Fred
Langbein riding a "speeder"
used to inspect the tracks c.1895.
(photos contributed by Ed Patton, former Director of the WNY Heritage
Institute and current resident of Lake View; original photo of PA RR
Station owned by Donald Spittler)
The Lake View Airport was
built in 1945 on land which is now the NYS Thruway. During the
construction of the latter, it was moved to a site on Heltz Rd.
The Lake View Airport is the only remaining airstrip in the Town of
(Photo provided by Norb Dybowski from article in Hamburg Sun)
of Lake View School Photos of People and Groups
View Cookbook from 1950's
History of Lake View Maps
Of Lake View